Kale is a green leafy vegetable belonging to the cruciferous family, the same family as cabbage, brussels sprouts and broccoli. It has a cult-like status among many vegetarians and vegans and is often seen as the cornerstone of their nutrition. We know better of course and while we can appreciate the nutrition value of kale, we know very well that it’s not the holy grail either.
Like many green leafy vegetables, kale is a great source of vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese, calcium and copper. It’s also a great source of beta-cerotene, which can be converted to the usable vitamin A, but the conversion is very poor for most humans. Also like most other green leafy vegetables, the nutriences in kale are harder to absorb when the vegetable is eaten raw. Eating kale with some fat will also help with absorption of fat soluble vitamins like vitamin A, E and K. Quite the opposite of what a raw vegan would think of as healthy!
The following kale chips recipe is very simple and will be ready in no time so you can enjoy this snack whenever you feel like it. You can take this basic recipe and add to it with some of your favorite spices. Cayenne pepper is a good choice for those who like a bit of heat. Some people like to prepare kale chips in a dehydrator, they are just as great when baked.
- 1 big bunch kale
- 2 tbsp cooking fat, melted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 300 F
- Wash the kale thoroughly under lukewarm water, drain and pat it dry
- Cut the stems off of the kale leaves and cut the leaves to obtain chips of similar size
- Place the kale in a bowl and massage the melted cooking fat int them
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the lemon juice and combine well.
- Place the kale in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until crispy. Check on the chips about every 12 minutes and toss them to make sure non of them overcook. Some parts will still be soft and this is desired.
- Sprinkle with extra sea salt and enjoy!
P.S. Ask us about our 6-month nutrition coaching lifestyle program. Lose weight, feel great, and become an expert with well established habits. You’ll never need another diet again.
ProCore Fitness | Kale Chips Recipe | Contact